ISO and Technical Advisory Group committee meetings continue to be held virtually this year. The TC 131 spring meetings wrapped up with 10 working groups (representing over 100 fluid power engineers from Italy, Sweden, France, Germany, Turkey, United Kingdom, Japan, Sweden, China, Portugal, and the United States) coming together to further the advancement of ISO standards projects focusing on terms and symbols, product testing, hydraulic installations and systems, sealing devices, treatment of air, and pneumatic component reliability.
To date, 105 ISO Standards projects have been balloted to publish, reaffirm, update/revise, or withdraw in 2020-21.
Recently Published Standards
- ISO 19879, Metallic tube connections for fluid power and general use — Test methods for hydraulic fluid power connections
- ISO/TR 4808, Hydraulic fluid power – Interpolation method for particle count and filter test data
- ISO 4406, Hydraulic fluid power — Fluids — Method for coding the level of contamination by solid particles
- ISO 4813, Hydraulic fluid power — Background, impact and use of ISO 11171:2020 on particle count and filter test data
- ISO 7425-1, Hydraulic fluid power cylinders — Dimensions and tolerances of housings for elastomer-energized, plastic-faced seals — Part 1: Piston seal housings
- ISO 7425-2, Hydraulic fluid power cylinders — Dimensions and tolerances of housings for elastomer-energized, plastic-faced seals — Part 2: Rod seal housings
The virtual setting has enabled a number of new faces from the U.S. technical advisory group to join international experts at the standards development table. NFPA thanks all the U.S. participants for their support and welcomes NFPA members to be active participants in the ISO standards community.
Individual U.S. technical advisory group and ISO working group project meetings are being scheduled in the coming months to continue to progress the standards development work.
TC 131, fluid power systems 2021 fall meetings are scheduled as virtual meetings the week of October 11 – 15. If you would like to join one of the working groups here in the U.S.A., attend a meeting, and/or learn more about the development of fluid power ISO standards, contact Denise Husenica at (414) 778-3354 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows the Y/Y % change in fluid power equipment PPI starting to decline. The Y/Y % change appears to have peaked at 14.4% in July 2022, and now sits at 10.4%. The graph below shows this trend over time, and just how large the recent spike…
On Saturday, February 4, 2023, the NFPA teamed up with Triton College, Illinois’ NFPA Fast Track Hub, and BSA’s Pathway to Adventure Council – Portage Creek District, IL, to introduce Scouts (ages 12-14) to fluid power. Triton College hosted the event, which was led by Antigone Sharris, Chair and full-time faculty of Triton’s Engineering Technology…
Registration is now open to NFPA members for the 2023 NFPA Fluid Power Vehicle Challenge final competitions. With the support of NFPA Pascal Society donors, this year’s NFPA Fluid Power Vehicle Challenge program features two separate competitions with a new race at each event, 23 universities, and a lot of excitement. Now is the time for NFPA Foundation…