By Melissa Magestro
IFPE Show Director
Show management recently held our staff IFPE pre-con meeting. We talked about the essential things to know onsite, where to go, what to wear (yep, we have uniforms!) and other staffing issues. Then we did something new – we let all the “seasoned veterans” leave the meeting and opened it up to just those staff who will be at the shows for the first time so they could ask their questions. And they had some great ones. So I’d like to share a few of those questions and answers with you, maybe you or some of your staff are newbies in 2014 and have the same ones:
1. Footwear – this is critical. They need to be comfortable and durable. Don’t wear the same shoes every day, mix them up or your feet get really sore. During move-in and move-out, MUST be closed toe. There are a lot of pallets, nails and other sharp objects on the show floor during that time.
2. Parking is extremely limited at the convention center. You need to arrive by shuttle bus, monorail or taxi. The show shuttle bus only runs during show days (Tues-Sat) not on move-in or move-out days, so make other plans during that time.
3. Entrance to the exhibit hall is by badge or work pass only. If you do not receive your badge in the mail, you will need to go to the show office in N243 or S226 and pick up a work pass. Exhibitor registration opens on Sunday Mar 2 in the afternoon and you can pick your badge up then (bring a printed copy of your confirmation). Any stand builder or contractor that is working for you will also need a work pass.
4. Las Vegas is the desert and it gets very dry there. Stay hydrated. Seriously, you don’t even realize how quickly your body dries out when you are on the tradeshow floor. Also remember the shows are 2 weeks earlier this year and it may be cold, especially in the mornings.
5. Finally, there is nothing that cannot be resolved. If you get on site and realize you forgot to order something or you have a problem, let your floor managers know. We can help you, we want to help you. And there is a solution for everything.
If you have more questions, take a look at the FAQ page on the website, maybe it can help you. If not, our customer service team is only a call away.